After some time without bringing you any new recipes, we come back with an increasingly popular recipe: carrot cake. It is a pretty easy recipe, very healthy, tasty and on top of everything, elaborated with the best EVOO.
- 4 eggs.
- 150g of brown sugar. You may also use white sugar.
- 200ml of EVOO. In this occasion we used our special selection EVOO. The variety you choose may affect the cake’s flavour intensity.
- 300g of grated carrot.
- 1/2 grated carrot for decorating (optional).
- 250g flour. You may also use wholemeal flour.
- 1 baking soda envelope (15g).
- 1 + 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- 80g of chopped walnuts (optional).
For Cheese frosting
- 80g of light cheese cream.
- 1 greek yogurt.
- 1 tbsp of honey.
- Start by whisking the eggs for 4-5 minutes until foamy. Add the sugar slowly while whisking.
- Add the olive oil and whisk for a few minutes until the mix is completely integrated.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda and the cinnamon, and add the pinch of salt. Add everything slowly and mix by hand or with a spatula. Our mix will increasingly thicken as we mix.
- Add the grated carrots and the chopped walnuts, and whisk until the mix is homogenous.
- You can use a round mold if you want it to be cake shaped, or a rectangular mold. We used a 32cm long rectangular mold. Paint it with a drop of olive oil and place sulfurized paper or baking paper in it.
- Fill the pan with your mix and bake it at 180ºC, with heat from above and below during 40-50 minutes, depend of your oven, at medium height. It’s very important to preheat the oven and you must not open the door during the first 30 minutes.
- Let it cool on a wire rack.
While the cake is in the oven, you can make the frosting.
Frosting is optional, given that the cake alone is very delicious, but it is really easy to make. You just need to mix the cream cheese with the greek yogurt and the honey. The amount of greek yogurt depends on the texture and flavour you want. We used a whole yogurt so it is not too sweet and to make the cheese’s flavour more subtle. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge at least for an hour or until the cake is cold.
The frosting must be cold when it is spreaded over the cake. We will prepare the amount for a thin layer. You can also fill the cake with this mix too. Once the frosting is applied, you may decorate it with half grated carrot or serve it without it as we did. You can see the result in the video above.
¡Our carrot cake is ready!
We love making recipes for you at Valdezarza. Follow us on our social media to receive them as we publish them.